The WordPress Category Archive Widget displays a monthly or yearly archive of posts for one specific category. It is very similar to the WordPress Archive Widget except that it just displays one specific category’s posts, not all categories. It can be configured to either show a listing or pulldown by month or year with or without post counts.
From the Category Archive widget control, you can set the widget’s title, category, whether to display the archive as lines or as an unordered list or as a pulldown, whether to group by month or year and whether to show post counts.
The archive displayed as a list with post counts and the archive as a pulldown of years without post counts.
- Upload “wp-category-archive.php” to the “/wp-content/plugins/” directory.
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress.
- From the “Widgets” page in WordPress drag the “Cateogry Archive” widget to the “Sidebar”.
- Configure the “Category Archive” widget controls, setting the “Title”, “Category”, “Display Style”, “Group By” and “Show Post Counts” fields.
How is the Cateogry Archive widget different than the built-in Archive widget?
The Category Archive widget lets you show posts for one specific category. The built-in Archive widget shows posts for all categories.
How come with permalinks on, when clicking on a month link, posts are shown for other months or other categories?
If permalinks are on, the permalink structure must contain the category, year and month for the Category Archive widget to work properly (e.g. /%category%/%year%/%monthnum%/%post_id%/).
With WordPress 3.0, you may also need to update the redirect_canonical function in wp-includes/canonical.php. See the “Permalink rewriting in 3.0” support topic for more info.
- Added better support for permalinks.
- Internationalized the month names.
- Added options to show post counts and display as an unordered list.
- Added option to display by month or year.
- Displays monthly archive of posts for one specific category.